Take the First Step
Start your journey with RESPEC today. For over 50 years, we have been seeking and keeping people whose values and skillsets align with us. RESPEC is 100% employee-owned through our Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), and we call each person who works for us an “employee-owner.” That recognition reinforces our mutual accountability. RESPEC’s successes help you advance, and your successes help RESPEC advance.
From the day we hire someone until they retire, RESPEC strives to nurture our employee-owners. We support you as you develop your talents, grow your perspective, and enhance your experiences.
Come to RESPEC. Stay with RESPEC. Take the first step of your journey with us by using the filters below to find your dream job.
Higher Job Growth
Over 10-Year Period
Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Rapid City, SD - M- Mining
Job Description: RESPEC, an employee-owned professional consulting and services company, specializes in applying engineering principles and innovative technologies to solve our clients’ most challenging problems. We are seeking a motivated and talented professional for a senior geotechnical engineer position in our Mining & Energy business unit in our Rapid City, South Dakota; or Reno, Nevada, locations; however, remote locations will be considered.
This position requires a demonstrated working knowledge of engineering principles and business practices to successfully plan and execute the performance of a team of specialized engineers. Expect a diverse range of geotechnical projects with a focus on the technical aspects of open-pit geomechanics and associated hydrogeology. Typical projects include slope-stability analysis and design in rock, analysis of slope-performance instrumentation and monitoring data, field investigations and geotechnical core logging, and geotechnical assessments. Fieldwork will be required and includes geotechnical inspections and client interactions. In addition to surface-mining projects, this position may also include office and fieldwork in underground rock mechanics. Strong observational and critical thinking skills will be required daily.
In this position, the preferred candidate will possess industry contacts and have a client-focused ability to lead and support geotechnical projects from proposal development to project completion. The successful candidate must be able to simultaneously execute and deliver on multiple projects performed by different engineers. This position is professionally and technically challenging and provides unique opportunities for continued advancement in a growing company. The selected individual will join an internationally renowned engineering team that progresses industry knowledge and contributes to innovative solutions for clients across the globe. Our employee-focused culture provides support and flexibility for employees to attain professional and personal goals.
- Bachelor of science degree or master of science degree in engineering geology, geotechnical engineering, or a related discipline
- A minimum of 10 years of geotechnical engineering experience, including rock mechanics
- Strong client relationships and the ability to support business development efforts
- Professional license or the ability to achieve professional license
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience in managing and mentoring other engineers
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong technical background in mine geotechnics, including kinematic analysis, slope-stability modeling, rock-mass characterization, rock-mechanics instrumentation, and remote-sensing methods
- Working knowledge of slope-stability modeling software and methods.
- Advanced degree (i.e., master of science or doctorate) in geotechnical or geological engineering
- Working knowledge of underground excavation stability modeling software and methods
- Technical proficiency in numerical modeling methods for geomechanical analysis.
Compensation: Salary depends on experience and expertise. Compensation includes a comprehensive fringe-benefits package that consists of medical, vision, and dental insurance; holidays; paid leave; 401(k) Plan and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP); continuing education; and professional societies. RESPEC is a 100% employee-owned company and employees are eligible for participation in the ESOP after a qualifying period.
Interviews: Interviews will be by appointment only.