Lexington, KY - M&E
Job Description: RESPEC, an internationally recognized engineering consulting and services company, seeks an entry-level mining geologist to join our Lexington, Kentucky, office. The primary activities of RESPEC’s Mining & Energy business unit are developing and implementing geologic solutions to meet our client-partners’ needs.
The successful candidate will join our geology team that independently evaluates project data and estimates resources; many of these evaluations will be publicly reported. These resource-related projects involve three-dimensional (3D) modeling of lithology, structure, and geochemistry of mineral deposits. Experience in data compilation and evaluation and 3D modeling is beneficial. Some domestic and international travel for projects development is expected.
Responsibilities: This position includes the following tasks:
- Compile, analyze, and maintain drillhole databases and related geologic data
- Identify relationships between the mineral deposit’s lithology, structure, alteration, and/or oxidation characteristics
- Construct 3D models using modeling software
- Conduct field mapping, drilling oversite, core logging, and sampling for exploration drilling campaign.
Qualifications: The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- At a minimum, a bachelor of science degree in geology, geological engineering, or a related field
- 0 to 5 years of experience as a resource, exploration, mine development, and/or production geologist
- Experience in field mapping, core logging, and mineral exploration drilling program with a geochemistry background
- Familiarity with geologic drillhole databases as well as drill-sample collection and processing procedures
- Experience in industrial minerals, construction materials, cement, crushed stones, sand and gravels, resource modeling, and mineralogy and/or geochemistry
- Previous experience with industry-recognized, commercial 3D modeling mining software (e.g., Surpac, Carlson, and Vulcan)
- Professional Geologist (PG) registration or ability to obtain a license after employment is required
- Excellent interpersonal and effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong team player attributes as well as the ability to work independently
- Proficiency in English is required, and oral and written skills in a second language are beneficial
- Competency with the Microsoft Office Suite.
Compensation: Salary depends on experience and expertise. Compensation includes a comprehensive fringe-benefits package that consists of medical, vision, and dental insurance; holidays; paid leave; 401(k) Plan and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP); continuing education; and professional societies. RESPEC is a 100% employee-owned company and employees are eligible for participation in the ESOP after a qualifying period.
Interviews: Interviews will be by appointment only.