Lexington, KY - M&E
Job Description: RESPEC, an internationally recognized engineering consulting and services company, seeks an experienced professional mining geologist to join our Lexington, Kentucky, office. The primary activities of RESPEC’s Mining & Energy business unit are developing and implementing geologic solutions to meet our client-partners’ needs.
The successful candidate will join our team that independently evaluates project data and estimates resources; many of these evaluations will be publicly reported. These resource-related projects involve developing three-dimensional (3D) geologic and resource modeling of construction materials and industrial minerals. Experience in compiling and evaluating data as well as developing 3D models is required. The qualified candidate should have 5 to 10 years of experience in the mining industry. This position provides an opportunity to lead and manage projects. Some domestic and international travel for projects is expected.
Responsibilities: This position includes the following tasks:
- Compile, analyze, and maintain drillhole databases and related quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) data
- Construct 3D models using commercial mining modeling software
- Identify and evaluate relationships between the mineral deposit’s lithology, structure, alteration, and/or oxidation characteristics
- Block models and resource estimates for deposits of interest under the supervision of senior geology staff
- Perform QA/QC on completed block models and all aspects of resource estimates
- Reconcile and analyze milled and/or mined production versus premining resource block models
- Assist in developing junior geology staff.
Qualifications: The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- At a minimum, a bachelor of science degree in geology, geological engineering, or a related field; a master of science degree
- 5 to 10 years of experience as a resource, exploration, mine development, and/or production geologist
- Experience in industrial minerals, construction materials, cement, crushed stones, sand and gravels, and resource modeling is required
- Experience with a variety of commodities and deposit types
- Previous consulting experience in the mining industry
- Proficiency with industry-recognized 3D modeling mining software (e.g., Surpac, Carlson, and Vulcan) is required
- Background in mineralogy and/or geochemistry
- Experience with drilling campaigns, mapping projects, sampling, and geologic and resource modeling
- Familiarity with geologic drillhole databases, exploration programs QA/QC, and drill-sample collection and processing procedures
- Professional Geologist (PG) registration or ability to obtain a license after employment is required
- Ability and willingness to attain Qualified Person (QP) status under National Instrument (NI) 43-101 guidelines
- Excellent interpersonal and effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong team player attributes as well as the ability to work independently
- Proficiency in English is required, and oral and writing skills in a second language are beneficial
- Competency with the Microsoft Office Suite.
Compensation: Salary depends on experience and expertise. Compensation includes a comprehensive fringe-benefits package that consists of medical, vision, and dental insurance; holidays; paid leave; 401(k) Plan and Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP); continuing education; and professional societies. RESPEC is a 100% employee-owned company and employees are eligible for participation in the ESOP after a qualifying period.
Interviews: Interviews will be by appointment only.